January 5, 2012

Brussel Sprouts ala Ashley

Let me start of by saying I have NEVER tasted a brussel sprout I liked. Ever. They're bitter, crunchy, and look like a miniature cabbage. Blech! That was, until I tasted the ones my sister made. Yeah, I went to the store and bought more this morning after eating them last night. The kids even liked them and, if MY kids liked them, they must be good!



Here's the how to:

A handfull of brussel sprouts (I used about 15 for our family of 5)
2-3T Olive oil
2-3T Butter
1/4-1/2t Salt
Garlic Powder (optional)
Parmesan Cheese (NOT optional!)

Start by cutting the end off the brussel sprouts, just to take off the brown part but not any further or they fall apart. Experience folks, experience.

Heat a large saucepan to medium. Add olive oil, butter, and salt until hot. Place the sprouts cut side down and saute for about 7-10 minutes or until they're browned. Flip them to the round side and cook for a few minutes more to brown that side as well.

Once that's done, give them a quick stir so they're not all uniform. This really isn't a "necessary" step, but I'm not "uniform" so I don't always make my food that way either! ;) Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder and parmesan cheese. Stir them around again and let them cook for about 3 minutes more, or until the cheese gets crunchy.

And.... voila! The most amazing brussel sprouts you'll ever taste! Period.

Seriously, just try them once! They're cheap so you won't break the bank and, if you don't love them, you're crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment